Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Brachiopods

     Here is my latest Brachiopod piece. I started using these 300-500 million year old fossils last year when I found them at the Tucson Gem Show. I have been shopping for stones and pearls for 20 years, and I had never encountered these beautiful fossils before.  I certainly loved them then, and I love them more now. The rusty grey earth tones of the stone these ancient bi-valve mollusks have become is so beautiful, along with the perfect seashell shape.  I now have a hard time parting with them, since I couldn't find any more like them this year at the Gem Show.
    So I am really hording my stash of brachiopods, but when I saw this one with the peachy, grey and white moonstone, I knew I had to let it go. This is a more diminutive piece, with the small ( for my work ) moonstones holding up the rusty toned brachiopod that is about 1 3/4" long. The length of the necklace is 18" at the shortest, but I always feature a built-in extender so you can make it 2" longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Calaveras County, California, United States
I love the stones and pearls, and the magic that happens when I combine them, and then again combined with the glass I make. You can find me at an Art show somewhere in Northern California most weekends during the spring and summer. Email me at FUNGIRLSJEWELRY@Gmail.com if you like.